View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 03:31 AM   #23
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FOTR<P>1. The opening prologue is a thing of beauty. I remember seeing it at the cinema the first time with the sound turned right up and when that first orc growls at the camera I thought ‘holy **** !”. And the Elvish sword fighting. I only wish that we saw more of Gil Galad and his spear though. But when you see Sauron……<P>2. The whole of the opening Hobbiton sequence could just not be improved. When I saw this at the cinema I thought that Ian Mckellen just couldn’t be any better. His love of the Hobbits comes out in everything he does. (Check out his eyes softening at the council of Elrond when Frodo says he’ll take the ring) I even got a bit emotional when Gandalf’s cart goes through the cutting and you get your first sight of the hill and Bag-End as the music soars.<P>3. In Moria it had the best sustained action sequence so far.<P>4. The aftermath of Gandalf’s fall was just handled superbly, especially the one line that shows that, under it all, Boromir is a pretty decent guy.<P>5. Boromir’s last stand (especially in the extended edition) was just superb. I cared for him so much more than in the book.<P>6. It had the best “Oh S#@t, they’re in trouble moment” when Aragorn tells Frodo to go, steps out from the ruin and the camera pulls up to reveal a whole truckload of Uruk Hai looking pretty damn ****ed.<P>7. And I damn well liked it when Aragorn cuts the Uruk leader’s head off. In fact the whole cinema liked it plenty every time I went to see it.<P>As for TTT.<P>1. I loved the opening with Gandalf and the Balrog. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when I first saw this. That beautiful shot of the underground lake and the lake starts glowing as they fall towards it. Say what you like about the films but Peter Jackson sure knows how to start a movie!<P>2. I loved Gollum. Particularly his argument with himself and his ‘fish song’. Oh, and the moment when Frodo calls him Smeagol. The look in Gollum’s eyes is just superb. Probably the first time in cinema when a CGI effect actually showed believable emotion.<P>3. Theoden drawing his sword for the first time in ages and breaking down in front of the tomb of his son.<P>4. Liked the scenes of the old men and boys getting taken from their families at Helm’s Deep. Really brings it home to you the scale of the threat they are facing.<P>5. Loved it when that old man’s accidental arrow shot starts off the whole battle of Helm’s Deep.<P>6. Gandalf’s charge down the hill with the Rohirrim as the sun rises and catches the Uruks off guard.<P>7. The Ents playing football with Orcs at Isengard. In particular one of them using a (still living) Orc as a club to hit others with.<P>8. Legolas surfing the shield whilst firing arrows and finishing off by kicking the shield into the throat of a hapless Orc.<P>But I must admit that I don’t just watch these bits over and over again. I just watch the entire film again and again.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote