View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #1061
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I have been thinking again about the situation in this story, and can’t really see why they would keep the orcs imprisoned long term, unless they intended to use them as bargaining chips should a large group of orcs show up. I might be missing the obvious but wouldn’t they prove a far too dangerous liability on the road? I should think that the question of whether or not to kill them or set them free would linger on the edges of everyone’s mind. All choices would be unsatisfactory, of course. With a flood and the females’ pleas mercy, wouldn’t a large number of the captors start identifying with the group of orcs, especially when finding out they have a similar goal in mind and were similarly oppressed? Perhaps they would recall their own imprisonment and consider freeing the creatures…but when Aiwendil returns, the two groups might decide that there is safety in numbers and that should make some sort of non-aggression pact and travel together. They curiously have common enemies as well. But how does one learn to trust an orc? If of their own accord the orcs save Men or Children from the pit, how far does that go towards earning the Men’s trust? I should think it might go far enough.

These are just some rambling thoughts on the matter