View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 01:07 PM   #10
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

(sorry about the length, I hope it makes sense)

It would have made for some uncomfortable feelings for a while, but I think had Feanor remained alive, it would've turned out for the better.

First, I think Feanor wouldn't have continued being so crazy. Some of his unkind actions (kinslaying, ditching Fingolfin) were done because of a combination of grief (for the loss of his father and the silmarils) and because he thought they were necessary to get at Morgoth (he thought pretty much everyone was in league against him, trying to hinder him).

I believe that the passage of time would've helped ease his grief a bit. Also, I think he definitely would've met Thingol and Melian, eventually anyway, and Melian would've helped his mind, like she did for Hurin if you recall.

After he calmed down a touch and had gained better wisdom through Melian, I'm sure he could've made ammends with Fingolfin. And even if feelings weren't great between them and their hosts, Fingolfin, because of his oath, would make himself subject to Feanor and follow his orders.

Before I say exactly why things would've turned out better, I'm going to point out a few of deeds accomplished without Feanor's help.

Soon after Fingolfin's arrival in ME, the Noldor held Morgoth in check for what, five hundred years?

Fingolfin got Morgoth to fight and wounded him seven times.

Luthien and Beren snuck into Angband and stole a Silmaril.

In the Battle of Unumbered Tears, despite his dragons and balrogs, Morgoth came close to losing. I recall that Gwindor and company killed the guards on the doorstep of Angband, and it said that Morgoth trembled.

This is some pretty big stuff the elves accomplished, and I think with Feanor's added power, Morgoth would've been beat, possibly very quickly. Everyone remember, when Morgoth first returned, he didn't have any dragons. All he had were balrogs and orcs (and orcs were no match for the Noldor as the first battle clearly shows). And balrogs can be killed by a single elf. When Feanor was fighting all by himself, The Silmarilion said there were balrogs all over the place, and it took quite a while for Feanor to go down. In single combat, Feanor would've whooped any balrog, and the same thing goes for Fingolfin.

None of Morgoth's servants could withstand the Noldor, so really, Morgoth's only defence for the first few hundred years was the fact that nobody could get into Angband to get him. I think Feanor would've found a way. If not, I think he couldn't convinced Melian or Luthien to help him get in (she obviously could get in, because she did with Beren). You might argue that Thingol wouldn't let her help, but Feanor can be quite persuasive, and I think Melian would've had compassion on him and moved Thingol to help him.

Once the Noldor are in Angband, the show's over for Morgoth. The orcs would start dropping like flies, some of the mightiest elves would gang up on the balrogs and kill them (Maedhros, Fingon, Turgon, Finrod, Ecthelion, Glorfindel, Gwindor), Feanor and Fingolfin would dust off a few balrogs themselves, and then there'd only be Morgoth left. If Fingolfin was able to wound him seven times by himself, I think with his brother's help Morgoth would be toast.

And even if they didn't find a way into Angband, I believe Feanor could've gone out on a recruiting trip and got a whole load of dwarfs to help out. Being the great craftsman that he was, the dwarves would've loved him and probably seen him as a demi-god. Some would probably think he was Aule in disguise. I think Feanor also could've persuaded other groups of elves living over the mountains to come help.

I think Feanor had limitless potential, and had he been allowed to live, would've ended up ruling the world.

(again, sorry about the length)