View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
There is no "unknown variable". Nienor committed suicide, and with her an unborn child. Tolkien never haunts a place unless a tragic death has occurred on the spot:

If Tolkien tells you a place is haunted, invariably a death has happened there.
Oookay. Swinging back to this, I think the 'haunted' answer is a very elegant one - it's not just a 'nope Tolkien meant she died', it's an interesting look at what exactly implies that.

Attempting to do the same thing by a different track, Morgoth. We know that he could lose track of the Children of Hurin - I believe Turin revealed himself multiple times - but also that his curse continued even when he didn't personally know where they were (I don't believe he was ever aware they'd reached Brethil, for instance). To argue that Nienor and her child could have escaped it is to argue that Morgoth's power in Beleriand is far weaker than it seems.

It also makes Hurin and Morwen's ends even more tragic... and implies that Hurin, seeing all from his stone throne, somehow missed Nienor's escape.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote