View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #71
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
I assume you are referring to the head of the Anglican Communion. It is the official state church/religion, but I do believe you have a few other sects over there which he cannot in all fairness speak for.

Sadly, Pullman has just recently been pulled from high school libraries in one local catholic school board here--despite the recommendation from the library committee that it not be banned!
All schools which receive public funding over here, including 'religious' schools (we have quite a lot of Anglican, Catholic plus one or two Muslim and Jewish schools) would not be permitted to 'ban' books. Things like that are controlled by the DCSF. School Governors could object in theory but in practice, the Department would kick them into touch pronto.

I wish I could add more to your comments on the how the book was translated to film, but I still haven't been able to snatch the time to see it, so it will have to wait I'm quite desperate to see how Oxford comes across after actually being there to see it filmed - it was intriguing seeing all the lights and cameras up on the college rooftops - though I know what Jordan College gardens will look like as they left the door to a private Fellows' garden open at Exeter and I took my chance to sneak in

The most important bit to get right for me was Lyra as she's such a wonderful character (her and Hermione Granger are two of the best female characters created lately). I saw the first five minutes of the film in a sneaky internet 'leak' and I was very impressed just with that bit...