View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #25
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
When reading the passage you highligted, I did not feel it was to honey sweet, but it did not move me either.
Then I must pity you as you sound like not much could "move" you then!

The "common man" has succeeded and saved the World. We have lived and breathed through thick and thin with these characters, esp. Frodo and Sam - we've gone to the brink of Death and Disaster with them - We stood by Frodo at the Cracks of Doom as he nearly threw the Quest away - but his compassion for Gollum redeemed him and they saved Middle-earth in the end.....

Now we move onto the field of Cormallen. Our protagonists have completed their quest - they find their kindred and friends alive, and are greeted by a friend who is now King of all the Western lands and he bows to them and orders all his kindred to Praise them.

This seems very moving to me...............

PS let's compare the two scenes in a nutshell

Movie - "My friends, you bow to no-one" and Aragorn and all Kneel down

Book - "Praise them with great praise" as Aragorn Kneels and sits them on his throne.

They seem very simillar to me - one works well on paper and the other on celluloid. Neither seems crass or honey sweet to me. What I'm saying is that if one criticises the movie, one must criticise the novel too.......

Last edited by Essex; 08-06-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote