View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
...Being a devout Catholic, and adhering to Biblical Creation...
This isn't actually the case for catholics, though. Biblical creationism is very much not a thing, and literal biblical creationism very much less so.

There's something of an overview here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolut...atholic_Church - it does come with the caveat that I haven't read all of it so I can't personally stand over all of it, but the first paragraph is a reasonable summary of how things sre:
Quote:
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, any believer ... may accept the belief that the earth evolved over time under the guidance of God. Catholicism holds that God initiated and continued the process of his evolutionary creation and that all humans, whether specially created or evolved, have and have always had specially created souls for each individual.
This totally holds true with my personal catholic upbringing in the 1970s, where factors such as the age of the earth, or evolution of humans and apes from a common ancestor, were never in doubt and were freely taught at catholic-run schools. To a catholic, rigid belief in literal biblical creationism would be a very "protestant" thing and would seem very strange.

This partially gives us the answer. In Tolkien's letters and his reworkings of the Silmarillion mythos from the 1950s on, we see him slowly dismantling the more mythical elements and replacing them with concepts that align more closely with real-world cosmology and history. So the sun and the moon can't have been created just after the death of the Trees, they must have always been there; the earth can't have been originally flat, it must have always been round; men can't have only recently awoken, they must be much older.

So it can definitely be demonstrated that Tolkien absolutely did not adhere to biblical creationism, quite the opposite in fact, and he expended considerable effort in making his feigned history a truer facsimile of real history (and pre-history).

Over the same time something also happened to his conception of his Elves, and they became higher, purer, more noble, more "unfallen". We see an example of this in the number of loopholes he invented in his attempts to disassociate Galadriel from the Feanorian rebellion.

I think in the end he just didn't want Elves to be the origin of Orcs. There were too many questions around immortality and rebirth, and he was no longer prepared to handwave this kind of thing with mythical explanations. By trying to root his work in real-world cosmology and history, he'd undermined the mythical elements.