View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #2287
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Groin: good to see you posting but I have a few questions for you...

The next one is from the thread and I think there is something quite odd there. Now who's talking / thinking and where - I mean the underlined part?

Quote:
However, the trial was not a total shamble. Quartermaster was not a bad job for an elderly soldier to have and Lithor was content with it. Thornden had been spared and for the most part Athanar’s sons had been spared, apart from being assigned job and a momentary scolding. Balvir and Matrim immediately came to join Lithor and offer their condolences. Let us be thankful, the misunderstanding was not worse. Quartermaster is not such a bad job really. At least the younger newcomers will not have to answer to him. Balvir, you are now my superior. Was it fair? It did not matter. Few things in this life are.
“Quit whining and accept it.” Lithor said his eyes fixed on Wulfric and Wulheard, lost in thought. “The one constellation is that I will be able to keep an eye on his sons.”
Secondly I'd think that Balvir (48y.), a sergeant of Gondor, would understand where lord Athanar is coming from and act accordingly - even if he wishes to be nice with / is a friend of Lithor.

Thirdly; have you thought of those peasants you wrote in a few days ago? I think there are no such figures around and the few comments here have confirmed it. It's always nasty to ask someone to remove something from the story but sorry, there are no such peasants around - and no outside camp-fires etc.

On a general note: I'm happy in general to see people have adopted new NPC's / side-characters from the ranks of the newcomers. That's good and something I'd warmly recommend to anyone.

But it seems you have only picked up some jerks and idiots... Looking at Groin's last post about those non-existent peasants brings the vision of PJ in the movie of the Prancing Pony to mind, like all Breelanders were baddies or half-wits...

Now lord Athanar, if he had peasants following him (which he doesn't), would have kicked that kind of guys off a long time ago. In that kind of society a lord is the one who has the chance to choose and will mercilessly leave the dim-wits or aggressors to suffer on their own and only bear with good people.

I can understand Athanar has some problematic characters around for the sake of storyline interests, like Aforglaed; he could be a son of a fellow lord or something, or a promising youth in arms even if a bit "teen" for his manners, or something like that. Also I think Athanar could stretch for Scyrr if he is an exceptionally good soldier - actually I don't see any other reason why he would have Scyrr among his ranks (he seems to be a kind of a guy lord Athanar would have gotten rid off in the first possible moment) - so beware anyone of you if you wish to try him with your character, he's going to beat you all as he still hangs around...

So what I'm kind of missing are the "good guys"...

Lord Athanar is a high lord of the eorlingas, trusted by king Eomer, a war hero and a renowned leader from the Pelennor Fields. So his soldiers are not the lowest of the mob but among the best there is in whole Rohan. We can have one or two specialities to make twists to the storyline (like Aforglaed or Scyrr) but the overwhelming majority of them should be something like "on the level of Thornden" - if that helps you gain the picture.

So hero-characters available! Finders' keepers'!

The young and a bit insecure Baldwic (son of Baldwin) and the firmer & older Feargall come to mind... (see http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?p=614847) and others can be come up with.

Anyway, let's go forwards! Soonish...

How are your timetables, "Bostonmooters" & "Praguemooters"? Should we make a general pause for a few days or how are your scheduals?