View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hmm. It's been long since I've actually read the right texts for this, so less of a textual-based and more of a feels-based answer. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but unfortunately I don't have the resources right now to do better.

First of all, was the White Council actually named so for Saruman, as you imply in your post? I thought it was White because it opposed the Dark side and was wise and etc, not in honour of its elected leader.

In terms of leadership... If Galadriel had that much say in the council, it wouldn't have been White or Grey, but rather Golden-mallorn-leaf coloured. She might have been the initiator ("hey guys, we need to gang up to plot the fate of Middle-earth!"), but not necessarily a louder voice than the other members. And she, like Cirdan, might have recognized Gandalf's value early on - but that didn't change that early on Saruman was the leader of the Istari, and Gandalf accepted his superiority. In fact, he accepted it, thinking Saruman wiser than himself, until the very events of LOTR. And initially, there was real merit to that esteem to Saruman, not purely a mark of Gandalf's humility. Saruman as the leader of the council is natural; he is the most powerful entity there, and by personality the most natural at handling this position. Forcing Gandalf into the formal position of the leader of Middle-earth over Saruman's head would have been against the flow of their dynamic, and would likely have caused a big rift among the Council. This way, Gandalf still became the de facto leader of Middle-earth, but on the field rather than in the council room. So in summary, I see the chief opposition to Galadriel's choice of leadership to be first and foremost Gandalf himself, it just wouldn't be in character for him.

Anyways, if there is a definitive answer, I would also gladly hear it. I can only offer an "it feels right" answer, which is not very much, but might get a discussion going.