View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hurray!

Quote:

I think the least faithful line is "Only love that's lost can endure". The translation says "There's no love that can be betrayed", but I'm not sure if he's saying "It's impossible to betray love" or "Without love, you can't betray it". Context kind of suggests the former, but the latter gave me a rhyme
It's more like "there is no love that one could betray", meaning the former. I don't think it's critical to stick to every line exactly. But this sounds a bit gloomy for Finrod (implying that love that is not lost won't endure? Poor Beren!). I don't know if I have an alternative that sounds as good though.

The last stanza is a perfect translation, and it rhymes so well too!

Hui, can I ask permission to share this with other people outside the Downs? It's fantastic, and very impressive!