Thread: LOTR Risk
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #15
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saucepan Man: I haven't played the cooperative version you have described. However, I was given a different LOTR cooperative game for Christmas last year and the promise to have the TTT version this Christmas (we shall see). They link together, and presumably also connect to the future ROTK version. Anyway, it is similar to what you described. Each player moves one (doesn't matter which one, which often leads to one character, usually the best one, having to wait up for all the others) of the "good guys" each turn and can collect cards that give abilities and decide which paths are taken. Instead of Sauron following you, the Nazgul chase you around for a while, the Balrog claims Gandalf, Boromir has a run-in with Lurtz, and you have to deal with various orcs along the way (yes, it is based on the movies). It is a fun game and enjoyable. It is rather predictable and one character inevitably becomes the favorite and is made better than all the other and used more frequently. But it is still fun to re-live the story and share that experience with your friends.

P.S. this particular cooperative game also has an individual aspect to it. Each "decision" card that you personally draw, regardless of the character you choose at the moment, gives you good (positive) or evil (negative) points depending on if (by roll of the dye) you chose the right decision or not. The person with the highest positive number of points at the end of the game wins.

P.P.S. As a strategy game lover, I'll have to check out LOTR Risk!

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: aragornreborn ]
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote