View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #1188
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Saeryn lifted her head as Eodwine instructed and stared through bleary eyes out at the sea of faces. Her hands twisted in the fabric of her skirt, but she remained still. At first, she did not understand his request for her to stay. But he continued to talk, his voice low and gentle, soothing her, until her breath was calm and the tears were absorbed again.

“Hold yourself with firmness to this moment, stay by my side through dinner. Show these folk that you are of far greater mettle than that fool. Rule yourself and show that you are fit to rule others. I will be at your side through all of it."

She turned and looked at him again, this time her eyes adoring. “Eodwine,” she said, again in a whisper. “I love you.” It was such a simple phrase, but she meant it entirely. He had just been insulted, and yet he showed no anger either towards the man who insulted him or his wife who had caused the whole horrible situation. Instead, he offered her strength and courage to overcome the trial of staying and sitting the night out.

No more could be said here, though. She wanted to talk to him freely, to tell him what she had felt and why she had acted the way she had, but right now that was impossible. So, she would wait.

--

Thornden

Why was it that every time the people were gathered for a special feast or celebration, something absolutely ridiculous happened? Thornden had reacted just as everyone else in the hall had: he became absolutely still when Saeryn and Scyrr made their loud entrance and then felt his heart stop when Scyrr called out Eodwine. When the crisis had passed, and after the first wave of relief had broken across the assembly, keen annoyance and indeed anger flared inside him.

Could Eodwine not return to his hall after a two month’s absence and not be mocked at his table? It was wrong in more ways than one, and Thornden felt it deeply. On the other hand, while answering Scyrr, Eodwine had caused all the other riders to respect him.

He said nothing to any of the riders sitting with him. He listened as Áforglaed and Baldwic exchanged words. He nodded in mute agreement when Baldwic expressed concern that Scyrr be taken away and watched approvingly when he acted on his word and took Scyrr out. Good. Remove the man before any more embarrassing thing might occur.

He picked up his cup again and paused with it half raised to his lips. “Does anyone know why lady Saeryn went out after Scyrr, anyway?” he asked to the men seated near him.

--

Quin

“Decisions!” Quin said, nearly choking on his meat. “What are you talking about? She wasn’t making decisions. She probably wasn’t even thinking. And I don’t think that baby had anything to do with her grabbing Scyrr and hauling him in here. I’m surprised it didn’t get more in her way.” He blushed, once he’d said it and quickly changed the subject.

“I am surprised Eodwine answered him the way he did. Athanar would have had that man’s head.”