View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #36
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quite a few things to address. Your comments were disrespectful to me, StW, and I will post whatever topics I please concerning my grudges with the films. Hair color is a big deal to me. Get over it. Alatar said it best - to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
MatthewM very clearly indicated that he was talking about the way Gimli was being used in the movie. His argument is based on a misuse of Gimli within the movie. I think that is the proper and very legitimate approach in discussing the films.

Do not speak for me. Apparently the subject of the thread was not "clearly indicated" to you, for Boro88 is correct. This thread, although showcasing a movie flaw, has everything to do with the books. Let me try to explain this to you.

The book was written.
Years later, the movies based off the book are filmed.

How in the world are you going to continue to preach on how movies are movies and books are books? I understand that these are two very different medias, and the films have to be treated in a certain way - but the fact remains that Peter Jackson was basing his films on J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved books.

There are some things in the films that should not have been, for they are contrary to the books.

Gimli sitting on the vacant Steward's chair is completely disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
And just to point out what WCH already did, Faramir was the Ruling Steward at this time, so Denethor abusing his power and being dead is not a valid excuse (at least in my opinion).
Agreed.