View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #12
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Though we as readers learn not only what it is lurking in those dark tunnels, but some important facts regarding that presence, Frodo and Sam discover the true shape of Shelob only very late in the chapter. And although their horror is tangible, they could not describe accurately what it was that stalked them until the last few pages…it was up until then simply something foul and menacing, something with many eyes.

Having read about Ungoliant fairly recently in the Silm. the similar attributes of a ‘black hole’ sort of darkness and gluttony ascribed to both was striking. But many thanks to davem for pointing out the dissimilarity regarding the two in their reaction to the light of Silmarils. It is something to mull over along with the cries of the Elves and other references to history.

But another curious thing to me was that Tolkien writes that Sméagol/Gollum had bowed down and worshipped Shelob. I understand why Gollum might be mentioned but why is Sméagol named here? Is this a hint about his basic nature?

Quote:
Already, years before, Gollum had beheld her, Smeagol who pried into all dark holes, and in past days he had bowed and worshipped her, and the darkness of her evil will walked through all the ways of his weariness beside him, cutting him off from light and from regret.
These passages seem to say much that hasn’t been mentioned in the story before now, something I don’t remember Gandalf having guessing at. And I am left asking myself if Gollum had been in these tunnels even before he was captured by Sauron.

Another facet that adds to the disturbing mood of the chapter is the “fey mood” Sam feels his master is in, after freeing himself of the tunnel. Sam does seem the only grounded thing in the whole surreal episode, and by the end he also seems so dreadfully alone.

Quote:
Red with his own living blood his hand shone for a moment, and then he thrust the revealing light deep into a pocket near his breast and drew his eleven-cloak about him.
This quote seems to lend a reality and solidness to Sam’s character, and I quite like Tokien’s use of the word’s ‘revealing light’ in this passage.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote