View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
  • I have it! I have the origin! This is the Man in the Moon come down too soon! Eureka!
Now actually I'd dig that (add this to my list of preferred explanations). Imagine if this was just a, say, three-episode thing where the Harfoots (HarFEET. Har har. Okay, I'm stopping now) eventually get the Man drunk and finally drive him up the hill to deposit him in the Moon. The end of sub-plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form
  • Why by spring, Celebrimbor? You're an Elf--what's the time crunch for?
That was really weird, in my opinion. Especially in the light of the subsequent conversation about time-perception between Elrond and Durin (still, I argue, the best dialogue thus far). I hope there will be a reason - even if it is something as questionable as "I actually had a vision that a stranger, a Giver of Gifts, will come in the spring and help me craft the greatest wonders the world has ever seen!" or somesuch.

Quote:
  • Pre-Narvi gates! I suppose that makes sense... but why--HOW--does Elrond have history with Durin?
Yes. I certainly hope *that* will be explained. Because that scene seemed like a horribly arbitrary and unnecessarily convoluted setup of Elrond having to go and visit the Dwarves, but being rejected. Instead of the straightforward way of doing it, i.e. Celebrimbor saying something like "I know this guy named Narvi who lives next door, let's go meet him", he (who lives literally next to Khazad-Dum) calls Elrond from across the continent to ask him, conveniently find out that the one Dwarf he knows lives just there, and yet said friend slams the door in Elrond's face. I am sure there would have been a more logical setup. I can see how this was necessary to introduce the - so far in my opinion still the best relationship in the entire series - but I am sure that there was a smoother way to doing this.

On another note, I wonder if the rectangular window was an intentional callback to famous PJ's "rejection window" of Thorin talking to Bard from inside the mountain and very politely telling him to sod off.

Quote:
  • Underground greenery? I need to digest this...
I actually liked that. Those huge mirrors reflecting light seemed like a very "Khazad-Dumish-at-the-height-of-its-splendour"-thing. If you are coming up with innovative ways of showing what a big, rich, "working" Dwarven kingdom looks like, then this is certainly better than just showing bigger and bigger piles of gold. (And mithril! Where is mithril, so far? Nothing against the Silmaril-Arkenstone thing, but mithril should be the main focus and it is Khazad-Dum's unique resource. Incidentally, I wonder whether the Silkenstone will be, in fact, broken into pieces and used for stones to set into the Rings...)

Quote:
  • Theo is going to be a Nazgūl, isn't he? I mean... nine of the characters are, right? Halbarad is the Witch-king, right? Elrond, Galadriel, and Durin are all Ring-bearers... so we need the Men too.
That is what I am here for. That, and the transformation of Southlands into Mordor (I hope. Would explain all the digging under).

More ideas: Mr. Halbrand won't actually become a Nazgul, only his son (that's what Theo is, right? That seems to be the "big secret" of H's past) will, but Mr. H., by that time having become the king of some of the Southern folk, will refuse to go against his own son, thus forfeit his oath to Isildur, and will become the King of the Dead of Dunharrow. Dun dun dun.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote