View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #3737
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If the main problem would be whether to, in shorthand, "call for law and order" or to "understand the possible rebels", I think the roles are pretty much given between Athanar and Eodwine, not probably so much because of their personalities (even if there probably is something of that there too), but especially because of their status: Athanar has the official position and is responsible to his king as the lord of the Mead Hall, a representative of the king and the realm, whilst Eodwine can take his stance more freely not being in charge officially or judicially.

But if that is about the scenario we'll start building I'd suggest we make the rebels do something relatively serious as otherwise it might be a real pain to write Athanar demanding law and order in the face of probably quite righteous claims of the rebels (heh, I'd hate to be on the "wrong side" all the time - even if writing for a person who is not like you yourself is always rewarding in other ways...).

I'll try to check the local lords for any ideas how they could fit in during the weekend as I said, but just as food for thought to everyone let me recount them as my memory serves me.

There's this "great lord" who was I think Eodwine's and Athanar's superior in the great war: a great soldier and commander who has grown somewhat greedy as a lord amongst "nobodies" and is very mindful of his stature. I wouldn't say he is evil, but maybe thinks himself superior (in many cases that might be true) and takes his new luxury-"retirement" as given.

Then there's this one I'd call the "evil one". An intelligent, mindful lord who's not talking or doing openly even half of what he actually thinks and does. To him I'd be willing to give some really nasty motivations - or at least egoistical ends he'd be ruthlessly pursuing. An obvious central-plotter for us - or the obvious target of the rebellion?

The third is actually third and fourth. There is this old lord who was fighting at the Pelennor Fields and was at least known by A & E (needs to check), and it seems he has stayed true over the years - as was seen in the first confrontation where he saved the day by overriding his son.

But he has given the lordship to his son who is reckless, hot-headed and wants to show-off to the other two lords. The last time we left them the situation was quite delicate between the father and the son, so maybe it should be revisited and we should decide how matters went after Athanar and his soldiers left?

But it seems they all (except perhaps the third one) have misused their status by levying taxes or tax-like payments, making partisan judgements in the absence of a Mead Hall to speak the law, and basically taking advantage of the local people.