View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 06:00 AM   #57
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

a bit of fun close to the subject:

Quote:

Spellcheck Man
Newly Deceased
(7/13/01 12:51:07 pm)
Re: Technical difficulties?

Don’t worry, young Typo Girl – Spellcheck Man has compassion for all typing-challenged citizens. My true enemies are vile villains like The Abbreviator and Doctor Slang. These cretins ride roughshod over proper spelling conventions, willfully flout the rules of grammar, and do their best to propagate their noxious anti-style through every available medium of human communication. But their evil master plan has been marked by Spellcheck Man; yes, indeed, he has marked it well. His red pen is ready and he will use his fantastic powers of usage and his amazing comprehension of complex sentence structures to correct these fiends whenever and wherever he finds them!

Just call Spellcheck Man if you need assistance, Typo Girl! He’s always happy to help!

As a public service, Spellcheck Man will give you his “Tolkien Word of the Day”. Spellcheck Man thinks Professor Tolkien was a master of the English language – at least by normal human standards – and a good role model for all young citizens to imitate.

Spellcheck Man’s “Tolkien Word of the Day” is haggard, as in this sentence: “In their white faces burned keen and merciless eyes; under their mantles were long grey robes; upon their grey hairs were helms of silver; in their haggard hands were swords of steel.”

“Haggard” is used here as an adjective, and in this context it means “having a worn or emaciated appearance”. To learn more about alternate meanings and grammatical uses of Spellcheck Man’s “Tolkien Word of the Day”, follow one of his favorite links and look it up!

See there, Barrow Wight? Spellcheck Man even has an uncanny ability to stay on topic!

Remember what Spellcheck Man says: don’t let your friends or your peer group pressure you into using improper English or adopting lazy abbreviations into your own vocabulary! Always make sure your subjects and verbs agree! Remember to look both ways before you cross the street!

Edited by: Spellcheck Man at: 7/13/01 3:26:13 pm

==========================================

The Abbreviator
Newly Deceased
(7/13/01 3:56:55 pm)

Pplz, dontcha listen to the seductious voice of da Spellcheck Man!
Da future is no longa what he's a-preachin. Da future is lies in da abbreviations. On da Net ya cant write nowels like da Spellshaker doez! Hes lyin just when he openuz his mouth, I tell ya. lyin, and foolish. Fer he dont even know his sourcez. He thinks all ya need is words and grammar and spellin. Fool! When ya lack da brainz to use it it is nuttin!
As a long-timey member of da Lugburz bunch, I know it betta:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The word 'haggard', used at II, 315, implies how this happened. It was first used as a noun, to indicate a hawk caught when fully fledged; later it came to mean 'wild, untamed', and to be applied with special reference to a look in the eyes, 'afterwards to the injurious effect upon the countenance of privation, want of rest, fatigue, anxiety, terror or worry'. At this stage it was influenced by 'hag', an old word for witch, and implied also gaunt or fleshless. The Ringwraiths are fleshless and 'faded' from addiction, and privation, and from being caught by Sauron.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, fellaz? Da Spellchucka just wants to delude ya. I, on da other hand, am the friend of da people! I help ya! Make yer lifes easier w/ abbreviations, and I help ya w/ da meanin!

===========================================

Spellcheck Man
Newly Deceased
(7/13/01 4:52:36 pm)

Zounds! Abbreviator, you've taken your ghastly disregard for aesthetics and style to new depths! I'm sorry you've had to witness this blight on your fair cyber-village, citizens of the Downs! But let this be a learning experience for us all! Abbreviations may save you a keystroke here and there -- but at what cost? The bill always comes due sooner or later, and you will have to pay it, with interest.

Don't let yourself end up like The Abbreviator! Compose each post with the loving care that you would use to write a letter to your mother on her birthday! Eat your greens! Use emoticons in moderation!
I'm Spellcheck Man!

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote