View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #738
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Saeryn didn’t faint. She did not even half loose her senses. She felt weak, though, and was grateful of the support of the three ladies about her. They helped her to a seat. She laid her head in one palm while her elbow rested on the table. She told herself over and over to get up and not to be weak, she had to think – think!

And then she was aware of Kara at her side, clinging to her hand and weeping. Saeryn turned her head towards her and bent her mind to listen. “My lady Saeryn,” Kara sobbed, “Erbrand has asked me to come with him. He told me where I could find him when all this ruckus died down and it was safe for me to come to him, but I just couldn’t leave you… I couldn’t…”

Saeryn lifted her head and finally roused herself. Whatever happened, she had to be able to meet it. She was the Eodwine’s wife, the lady of Scarburg, and therefore the lady of these women around her. She had to be strong enough to lead them now, or she would not be strong enough to lead them at any other time. Kara made this as clear as day to her now, for Kara had been braver in the face of calamity than Saeryn herself. She was shamed by the loyalty and duty of this young woman.

“What is happening?” a voice asked from behind them. They all turned, startled. It was Lilige, Lady Wynflaed’s maidservant. Saeryn rose to her feet.

“There is trouble outside,” she said, and her voice was steady. “I do not know what action lord Athanar will wish to take in regards to the trouble, but I think that lady Wynflaed should be informed. Lilige, please send word to your mistress and tell her I would like to speak with her. I will be in the hall.”