Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 AM   #106
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
Not so Gandalf: he is entirely sexless and wholly devoted to the combative overthrow of Sauron. In this regard he is like Boromir – can you imagine Boro ever settling down with a nice girl from Rohan in the greenwoods of Ithilien? Nuh-uh.
How do you know? How could you even compare Boromir's mission to Gandalf's? A nationalistic mission to a worldly mission? I have no doubts that if Sauron was overthrown in Boromir's time he would readily have taken a wife. Not to mention, it is not far-fetched to think that Boromir had plently of fair maidens in Gondor and Rohan. Just because Tolkien stated that Boromir delighted "chiefly in arms" does not mean Boromir was "sexless".

Quote:
So while I agree that the Ring would have corrupted Aragorn in time (terrible thought) I still don’t think he would have succumbed before Gandalf. The Wizard was thinking at every point, “How can I defeat Sauron?” and to that the Ring gives a ready answer; Aragorn was thinking at every point, “How can I save Gondor and thus marry Arwen?”
Again, how do you know? Pray tell how you read through the pages and could actually tell what Tolkien's characters were thinking?