View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 10:35 PM   #29
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anyways, my attempt at being not sarcastic and wholly serious...

Quote:
What books do you enjoy and not consider "2-D" as you so dub the works of the professor?
I think I mentioned it before... The Ring of the Nibelung, Wagner's rendition. It has that core of good and evil thing too. But the definition of evil is blurrier in there, and the portrayl of evil less extreme. Wagner's other works, like the Dutchman, and Tanhauser too. The materials Wagner used are almost the same from LOTR, (I dubbed them "The Ring" and "The Older Ring") but Wagner's presentation of a similar central idea, in my opinion, was deeper, richer, more fleshed out less rigidly defined.

Tolkien intended his story about a journey, Frodo and Sam's journey mainly. Maybe this was why he didn't pay more attention to the antagonist in the story. Maybe he viewed Sauron as a force rather than a real character. Maybe the conflict in this story is leaning towards a man against nature thing, and that's why Sauron seem so cartoony. I don't know. I am merely pointing it out that Sauron is a cartoony character. Maybe Tolkien intended him to be like that. I don't know again.

Quote:
Is there anything about LOTR you DO like, and that doesn't annoy you?
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] LOL! That's hardly fair. If there is nothing about LOTR that I like, why would I even be here?

I will break it here. I think no one should take offence this time... I will return. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote