View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #22
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

“Absolute Evil” is a hard concept to grasp fully if you think about it. My defenition of evil is someone or something that goes against life, I could also say that goes against God (or in ME’s case, Eru) but not everyone is religious, but everyone believes in some form of evil. Without evil, there would be no good.. Morgoth and Sauron can arguably be absolutely evil, but doubt still hangs in my mind. We are given no reasons to believe that they are anything but the spawn of evil, all their mentioned evil emotions: Lust, jealousy, greed…it all sounds pretty human to me. Ahh, there’s an interesting point. The evil of Sauron and Morgoth is very (if not super) human. Infact this whole story, whether you be elf or dwarf or god…is all very human. Anything less is an animal and anything more is beyond our comprihention. You could say that it’s like this because Tolkien was obviously human and had no other way of writing it, but I believe he was making a point about humanity, which he later builds on in “The New Shadow” brief, unfinished story of the 4th age. I don’t believe that any human can obtain absolute evil, that they wish to pervert or destroy all life on the planet. I don’t think that was our two dark lord’s intentions either. If they had been human in a Catholic situation, if they had asked, they would have been given forgiveness. Does it sound like I’m defending our bad guys? I don’t want you to think that I am, but people need to think about things more sometimes. What is evil? What is evil to you? I’m a bit of a critical thinker I’m afraid.

Tolkien’s flaws…not perfect, but what are these days? I think that all of these “flaws” as you so call them, have their own purpose and reason for existing. I think we figured out the Eagle thing, but all the other “plot holes” and mysteries about the story are all relevent. Tolkien had a reason for Beorn, the shapeshifter, and Tom Bombadil. He had a reason for the elve’s immortality. He’s the author, and any “plot holes” that we think are there, probably aren’t, we just don’t know about them. It’s only too much of a shame that we can’t ask the mind behind all this descussion. But when I’m in heaven (I pray) I will ask him. That thougth comforts me.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote