View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I would definitely disagree with you about it being 2-D. Are you saying that just because the underlying theme of good v. evil is simple that the whole story is flat? What gives it depth is the characters' emotions and actions as well as the glimpses of history and language. It is one thing that has always stood out to me as one of the amazing things about LotR, even before I started to read the Sil etc. That is basically what this world is, if you take it down far enough, is good v. evil (In my own opinion, anyway). There are also several other themes in Tolkien's work but I don't think that belongs here.

As for Sauron being evil, I think that it is definitely shown that he is evil. Somewhere Gandalf says something (to Frodo?) like "He has many more useful servants. But hobbits as miserable slaves would make him much more happy than hobbits happy and free." In addition to trying to dominate all of ME, tricking the Elves by making the One Ring, and other things already mentioned. And the Ring is evil because Sauron is evil and most of his power went into it. Everything done with the Ring turns to evil. Can you tell me where it says that the people of Middle Earth don't think that any power can be used for good? If they thought all power was bad, why would they have Kings?

Yes, there are plot holes, but doesn't every book have them? Especially with a work that big I don't think it would be possible not to have some errors. Yes, it can be fun to discuss them, but I try not to let those things get in the way of enjoying a truly excellent book.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote