View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Flaws in Lord of the Rings... Yes in the book.

Oh dear, hopefully I won't get murdured for this...But my friends, someone has to do it some day.

As much as I love Tolkein and his works, there are many bones I can pick with him.

First off, the whole logic issue with Lord of the Rings. It is a fantasy, I know, but it has to make the sense. The rings of power business is fishy enough to begin with. But since that's the foundation of the entire story it will have to pass for now. The whole deus ex machina thing with the eagles at the Black Gate is poorly executed, in my opinion. Sure, it's nice to save Frodo and Sam's life. But what then is the point of having this story of fellowship and journeys when you can simply fly to Mount Doom?

Secondly, the underlying theme seems too simplistic. It's very flat, two dimensional, black and white. Sure, the ring represents power and the whole story shows how absolute power corrupts absolutely, listing off examples like Saruman, Gollum and Boromir. But the underlying sense of good and evil is still the traditional and conventional sense. It made me question. Just why is the ring evil? Why does the power it represents is evil? Why do people of Middle Earth absolutely refuse to believe power can be used for good? And better still, just why is Sauronevil? Except that the author said Sauron is evil, what real, substantial evidence are there to prove he is as dark as they tend to portray him? I usually detest books with an antagonist that is simply labeled as "evil". It irritates me. I really don't believe in absolute evil. And don't say it is needed to create conflict. There are plenty of great works without such things in them, even works similar from LOTR. Check out Wagner's version of Nibelungied if you want to know what I am talking about.

That's all I have for now. If I think of more I will sure post them. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Please share your opinions on this matter.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote