View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #13
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Well, to give the question its own post . . . again, Christopher Tolkien, Unfinished Tales, note 20, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn:

So here, emended for the revised edition, which I took to mean the revised edition of the first sentence. Also:

And so I thought that Finrod had still been altered by Tolkien himself for the second edition, although to Finarphin. And now that I'm paying more attention to what Hammond and Scull wrote in their Reader's Guide to The Lord of the Rings
. . .

So my question is . . . what? Or am I missing something? Or . . . huh?

H&S know their bibliographical stuff, and I'm inclined to take their word for it barring very strong evidence contra. My guess is that not all the revisions Tolkien "prepared for" the 1966 edition actually made it into print, at least at that time.

And although CT is a praiseworthy scholar and editor, his memory is not always perfect; he could very well have forgotten or been unaware that while "Finarphir" may have been the reading of his copy of the 2nd ed., earlier printings still read "Finrod." I can testify that the H-M 14th printing (ca 1976), which as I said above used the 1966 plates unchanged, reads "Finrod."