View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #314
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Based upon Tolkien text evidence though, you're right that she doesn't deserve the title on verifiable accomplishment- but you can't say she deserves it less than Vaire. She's just as flat a character as Thuringwethil, but rather than "flying message-carrying vampire" she's "sewing lady", which seems more boring to me.

Basically, Thuringwethil has a very shaky base on which to build, but it's a fantastic base (flying + vampire), thus the possibility of constructing a marvelous character.

Now Goldberry we've actually seen a bit thanks to Frodo's detour, so she's justifiable- I won't say she's not at all. But then it depends on taste when it comes to that- I recall she and Tom had an allure that was "nearer to the mortal heart" or some such, rather than "keen and lofty" like elves etc. So then the question is, do you identify more with Hobbits and men, or with the Noldor?