View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #53
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
This is all really interesting to me because I just started studying Psychology this week and the first topic we did was... conformity.

We discussed how, in a sense, everybody conforms. We may not conform to the norms' point of view, but we conform on the Downs. For example, to try to fit in more, a newer member could decide to read HoME so they can quote it. So... I'm not sure why I brought this up actually. I just think the whole conformity issue is interesting, and the way we think we're independant when we're actually conforming to the rest of the Downs.

Bottom line, none of us are as crazy as we think or hope to be.
A very interesting perspective, subjunctive guy. Certainly posters here don't stay long if all they produce is chat posts--Estelyn's skwerls will get them sooner or later, as will that legendary long green sword of BW and the Admins.

Nor does this site encourage picture or image additions to posts; it relies mainly on text and text of a certain style; there's a slightly tongue-in-cheek atttitude here that requires a particular light hand and those who can't get a handle on it tend not to stay very long--or tend to stay only on certain threads. And everyone here understands the hierarchy of threads, whether seriously or winkingly. Witness all the newbie and not so newbie comments about being intimidated and not wanting to post on Books or Chapter by Chapter. In fact, there's very much a sort of a testosterone-driven competitive wiff along with that sweet smell of the dead.

Every community creates its own identity. In short, by coming here, we respond to all those nay-sayers "out there" and happily it seems create a style which many of them possibly cannot aspire to. (And note please what my placing of 'possibly' means. )

It's a society/culture/community which provides its own rewards.