View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 01:16 AM   #76
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
the beggar

I pondered about an issue and concluded I may be a baggageless man, or the next best thing (language issue, not other allusions). Indeed, I learned my English via Tolkien, and all I've read seemed natural to me at a time. To an extent that my own vocabulary consisted of 'lo!'s and 'deem's at earlier stages, and I've been accused of talking 'archaic garbage' once on another forum. Yet, having little notion of how 'modern English' should sound, I found it normal

On the other hand, the change of style does not break anything for me even now, when I have acquired some bags, for it also seems natural - further hobbits (the nearest thing to modern world to be found in ME) get from the Shire, more olden everything gets. It feels like diving into time, and the deepest levels should contain ancient fish, not found on the surface. I would have been dissapointed if Eomer recited in Bilbo's 'bussinesslike manner' reserved for people trying to borrow from him. That would certainly break the enchantement

Besides, events acquire almost biblical scope towards the end - it is the Black Gate to be passed by the King symbolism, it seems suitable to speak 'high'. (I know I mostly repeat Lalwendė's post here, I just want to add 'Biblical' to the 'to reflect the importance of the events taking place')

It uplifts rather than breaks. But individual cases may vary, of course.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote