View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 04:59 PM   #19
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Despite the revelry, singing, and shouting that seemed endemic to taverns and inns the world over, the silence in the snug room in the northeast corner of the Elephant and Wheelbarrow Inn was broken only by the sound of rasp of metal against wood. Azariah sat with his legs crossed in the front of the small fireplace, carefully chipping away at a square of wood scarcely six inches long, two inches wide, and two inches high. For the moment, it looked like an oblong donut with a U cut on one side. Chips of wood of all shapes and sizes were scattered over the rough wool shirt that the soldier used for a nightgown. He had paused to wipe the blade of the knife against his knee when a pair of soft knocks interrupted his evening activities.

Grumbling at the interruption, the Gondorian climbed to his feet. “Door’s unlocked. Come in.”

While there was no answer from outside the threshold, the click of the lock and a soft cough left no questions about the intentions or the identity of the visitor. Elenna had taken advantage of the bath provided by the establishment, washing off the grime that travelers invariably picked up on the road. After quietly closing the door behind her, the small woman cast a questioning look at the strangely shaped block of wood in the Gondorian’s lap. “What are you working on?”

“My nephew was born three weeks ago. I’ve been meaning to get something for him.”

She responded with a look of confusion. “Then what’s that funny block of wood in your lap?”

Azariah glared at her. “Have you seen a wood carving before? ‘Tis easy for a lazy man to buy a gift from the craftsman. Its quite another to make one yourself.”

Elenna nodded before perching uninvited on top of the bed. Silence returned to the room for a few moments, broken only by twin thunks as Azariah put the wood carving and the knife down on a table. “Why are you here? You didn’t come to ask about my carving.”

“No I didn’t,” responded Elenna, frowning slightly. “You argued with Haleg after meeting the merchant today, didn’t you?”

“Make now mistake lady, all of the world would be better if the likes Deriath simply disappeared. But Gondor and Rohan operate under the rule of law, and assault is banned.”

“But why did you have to say something? No one would ever know.”

“Aye, there is always beauty in the beast. But if I sit silent, how will I answer to Eru, who knows everything? Or the King? As much as inconvenient as it is, I am the envoy for the White Tower. Gondor does not take lightly to the violation of her laws.”

This made the small woman pause for a few moments. “You do have a point. But what about when Hassan catches up to his daughter? I don’t think Halasan will listen to you when he see, and Haleg certainly won’t.”

Azariah scowled deeply. “One does not spend years under the King’s command without learning a few tricks.”

Scarcely and hour before dawn, a strong cold front blew over Cambere, lashing the small trading town with strong winds and rain. For the most part, the merchants who had stayed overnight in the Elephant & Wheelbarrow Inn had elected to ride out the storm in the inn’s comfort. Only a small handful had even bothered to wake up to eat breakfast-most had elected to catch a few extra hours of sleep. Halasan and his small group of companions were completely alone in the common room during breakfast. The mood was certainly grim. Kiatus and Catrina had a head start, and a significant amount of loot from Halasan’s homestead. Now, with the storm lashing the roads south, their pace would be significantly slowed.

Tunar nibbled half-heartedly at a loaf of bread as his mind ran over the problems confronting the group. Traveling on the highway was certainly possible, though not completely desirable. The blacksmith knew that most light goods went to Minas Anor over the highways. Moving heavy goods, such as lumbar and metal, over such a route would be completely inefficient. There must be some other way to travel south besides the roads.

“Azariah,” said the smith, “how does metal from the mines near Calanhad get to Gondor?”

The soldier took a long drink from a cup of water before answering. “There’s ferries and barges that run down the Anduin.”

“Than perhaps we could inquire about securing passage for a future date,” suggested Halasan.

All eyes turned to the Gondorian. “I have an…acquaintance…who owes me a few favors. Provided his boat’s in the dock, I could persuade him to set sail.”

“Aye, let us try. I do not relish a long trek in the rain and wind.”

Roughly an hour before noon, the party minus Azariah assembled near one of the larger docks on Cambere’s well-developed waterfront. The Gondorian soldier was standing on the deck of a flat-bottomed river barge. Named the Swift Sparrow, even the most ignorant landlubber could tell it wasn’t built for speed. Instead, her thick hull was designed to navigate the Anduin safely while hauling the heaviest cargo available. A number of large crates were being moved, with a chorus of shouts and curses, into the huge hatch that lead to the ship’s hold. Upon spotting the group, Azariah and another man waved and started down the gangplank.

“Ho, neighbors,” bawled the man, “Azariah tells me that you’re lookin’ for passage down the Anduin ta Minus Anor.”

“Indeed,” agreed Halasan quickly, “how much room do you have?”

“Enough for the lot o’ you. First shipment of ore from the mines is always low. My friend Azi here and I have worked out payment already. Now get aboard.”

Spurred on by the crackle of distant thunder, humans and horses alike quickly boarded the vessel. Before the inhabitants of the city had begun their lunch, the Swift Sparrow slipped out of its moorings and headed south.

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]