View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #47
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thoughts tumbled over themselves in Jessamy’s mind as she processed the significance of Willem’s words. She was so overwhelmed that at first she could do no more than follow his instructions and as she dipped the little silver measure in her tea she scarcely registered that she was handling something made by the fabled Elves. It seemed al l the old stories were true after all. Maybe there really were walking trees too.
Willem’s tea was starting to ease the pressure behind her eyes but her head was far from clear.

She had the inkling that there was no point in lying to Willem, not that she really had the inclination – despite her deception of that morning she was usually a truthful girl.

“I have twisted my ankle a bit, that’s all” she admitted, “I thought you were a barrow wight come to get me” she explained, “and I was trying to get away “

“They say third time pays for all” she added ruefully. “I fell over this morning when we found the skunk in the first barrow – that’s how I got separated from the others. Then I fell when Duke found me, he was chasing me and I thought he was a warg.” Jessamy looked a bit sheepish at this – the dog was so obviously as soft as butter. “Then Duke found Edwin and he was so strange. And I heard the chains clanking but we couldn’t see the caravan so it sounded just like the stories one of my brothers told me when I was little” she continued without a trace of irony, “about the ghosts of the old kings and how they would come to get me if I had been naughty – and I have, I did such a bad thing and now they will be so angry with me”. The girl bit her lower lip in an attempt to stop the tears that were forming again. The ordinary dread of the trouble she was surely in with her family was ever ready to resurface if the supernatural terrors left the forefront of her mind for a moment.

She remembered the pretty little box and desire to change the subject won over her residual shyness and Jessamy asked the question that had been tantalising her since she first set eyes on Willem
“So if you know the fairy folk – does that mean you really are a wizard?”