View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #56
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Forgive me my confusion, but why exactly are the slaves in Mir's office? I can understand why Regnár and Ariel are there, but why are Susca and the two Rohirrim there? Did somebody (Regnár?) tell them to try to make it there during the hunt or something?
I tried to make that clear in Ariel's first post, but I suppose I failed. Sorry for the confusion, and currently, there's only one Rohirrim there.

Quote:
Ariel remembered more than two score faces he had seen in the cells of the Harvest Festival Preparation Committee: wide-eyed children, mothers desperately clutching suckling babes to their breasts, weeping old women, and snarling young men. They had been thrown helter-skelter into a makeshift pen like so many cattle to await the day of the Harvest Hunt. He had hoped – unreasonably, as he well knew – that all of them would survive the hunt to meet them here, in the Barracks, just as his captain had suggested. But life was cheap in the City of Rhun, why should theirs be any different? In the end, they four were the only ones that managed to make it here unscathed.
My premise was that everyone was thrown into the same cell the night before the slave hunt, and that Regnar had come up with an escape plan in which he told ALL the other slaves to meet him in the shadows of the Guard Barracks. But the people who survived long enough to arrive at the Barracks were only these four.

Quote:
And one minor thing - Eorl, I wrote in my character bio that Suscana is nowadays known as Susca, so your characters wouldn't know her real/full name so they would probably think of her as "Susca" not "Suscana". No need to edit bu remember that next time.
I was aware, but I thought that this familiar term of address would be known by everyone of Gondorian descent. For instance, everyone knows that Jack is John, or Lotty is Charlotte, and Letty is Letitia... If Suscana was a common first name in Gondor, anyone who heard 'Susca' would think of Suscana, I thought. And Ariel was the type of shy young man who would think and call everybody by their proper full name. But if you want it so that no one knows the full name of Suscana, then I will write so from now on.