View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #137
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Trór and Kórin

Trór was truly startled by Kórin’s request. Did she think her brother was useless? Such things could not be tolerated-it was his duty to fight- how could her brother be as cowardly as not to fight? Yet Trór was not wrathful, something in Kórin’s voice stemmed the surmounting anger that he felt at hearing such a request. It was almost was as if she had pleaded with him to save a life. Nevertheless, her brother would fight if he could help it.

“And who am I to grant such a request? I command the masses, but the masses do not command me. Every cowardly Dwarf will be seeking this grant if I am to give you such a boon. Am I to give a pardon for your brother simply because you are of a higher quality than him?” Trór spoke in a steady calm voice (he thought Kórin would respond hotly if he would respond in any other way) and paced the back and forth in front of her, gesturing with his hands as he spoke. “Five years ago he fought to reclaim Khazad-dum; now he must fight to keep it. What dreams he has made, what wealth he has accumulated while here I cannot say, but if he intends to stay as an honorable citizen and not send others to protect the women and children then he best pick up his axe and fight!”

Kórin’s blood boiled hotter than ever at Trór’s remarks. She did not care one ounce about how he treated his troops, or whether he lead the peoples of Khazad-dűm to their destruction through his arrogant nature – but he dared to insult her brother, all but call him a coward?

It was all Kórin could do to force herself to speak rather than scream at this dwarf. “He did not make this request, I did. And I made it because he is the better – far better – dwarf than I, and deserves better than to die as a result of your pride or plain incompetence.”

Kórin had not really mindfully set out to insult him, but the words “pride” and “incompetence” came nonetheless. Whether or not he was a competent military commander had not really been at question – she could not speak one way or another on the matter – but it was a simple jab at Trór which her anger apparently could not resist making.

“You will do well to remember to whom you are speaking to!” Trór’s patience had met its end. Prideful was a description that he could abide with; in fact, he often described himself as a proud Dwarf: proud of his leaders, proud of his soldiers; proud of his kin. Incompetent, however, was the last insult that he would accept from Kórin passively.

“I will not grant you this boon, not only for your lack of respect for me: the only Dwarf who has the authority to grant your request, but also for your coward brother. If he is a better dwarf, “a far better dwarf” as you put it, then he will fulfill his duty alongside myself and other brave Dwarves.

“Honor is the very essence of life to a true man and he would not risk losing his honor as a consequence of shirking from duty. But why do I speak to you of honor and duty? You are a woman and do not understand such things. If you had an ounce of either honor or duty you would not think of suggesting such a cowardly thing, unless you know it is what your brother would want.

“Therefore, I will grant the opposite of your wish. I will find your brother and personally see that he fights in the vanguard of the army. If he is a “far better dwarf” than yourself, and cherishes virtuous honor, he will accept the assignment readily. If not, however, then he will have your impetuous words to thank for it.”

Trór paused for a moment, wondering whether to punish Kórin as well. Trór had no idea on how cruel he had just been to her, and that his punishment was more than enough. Perhaps the punishment would not have been as harsh if Trór had issued the sentence to Kór in person; however, the effects of issuing it to a relative of his, especially someone close, had not occurred to Trór until he saw the look of pain and anger on Kórin's face. He recognized his mistake in doing so but did not show it, especially since he thought his judgment was just.

“I leave in six minutes,” said Trór somberly, “if you still intend to come then you best be ready.” He waited for Kórin to leave. There was nothing more to be said and he did not expect her to join him afterwards.

Kórin clenched her fists so tightly that even her short nails dug into her palms. Every part of her wanted to give him a bloody nose at the least, but for some reason she did not. She was not sure why – she could not think of any consequences she might be afraid of. He had already flung enough insults at her – and he could do that all day as far as she was concerned – but beyond that he had already done the worst he ever could.

“You…you despicable--!” she all but screamed. “You will not last long with enemies both within and outside Khazad-dűm. I can only hope you are not a coward and lead your troops from the front!”

She spat on his beard before turning and storming down the hall, forcing her way past some dwarves still gathered near the doors.