View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden looked again at Eodwine. It was bad, certainly, very bad news, but was it such to elicit such a reaction from Eodwine? Had he known those that had died? Was there something else that disturbed him about this?

“Stigend,” Eodwine said, he need not have addressed him by name, for the eorl could hardly have had anyone else’s attention more firmly fixed upon him. “You say you did not search farther?”

“No, but I can,” Stigend answered.

“My lord,” Thornden said, interrupting gently, but quickly. “My lord, there is nothing that can be done now. The work must continue. Stigend’s skills are needed. You would not want your own people to sleep without a roof tonight, and go to bed with empty stomachs. Let someone else search the ruins, if they must be explored at once.”

‘Not you,’ he nearly added. He did not like how these tidings affected Eodwine. Something wasn’t right. Sure, it was startling, and yes, perhaps the extra strain added to Eodwine being in the status of lordship had made the shock worse, but even so. . .

He ventured to make a suggestion. “Perhaps today, to keep the rest from becoming too excited, no one should go there.”