View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #384
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine had been at courts in Gondor in which the lord nodded to his steward, who retrieved the parchment from Eodwine's hands, and either read it aloud or handed it to the lord; it was as if the messenger, or peasant, was too far beneath the lord's station. Eodwine rejected such an action for his court. He smiled, stood, and approached Stigend, who handed him the paper, which he quickly scanned. Byrthold's word was that Stigend was a good carpenter and steady worker.

"Stigend and Modtryth, the Lady Saeryn and I will sit with you at table, back by the kitchen."

Eodwine handed the paper to Saeryn and instructed Thornden to have Kara bring food and drink for four. Then he directed Garwine to prepare the fire in the hearth against the cool of the night.

"Court is over," Eodwine said as they sat down. "I need a carpenter who can work with my stoneshaper and the others of my Hall. And I welcome families. The girl and boy playing with your son are the stoneshaper's children. A seemly omen, if you heed such things. I will take you on for one month to see how you fare with those who are the folk of my Hall, and then we shall see about longer. But tell the Lady and me about yourselves."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-28-2006 at 08:26 PM.