View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Léofric shifted his weight anxiously from foot to foot. This was the first man he’d talked to that hadn’t turned him down outright, and while he didn’t have a lot of hope, he was running out of options. The man sighed. “How old are you, lad?”

“Sixteen, sir.” He would have lied about his age, but with his thin frame and boyish (and probably dirt-smudged) features he already looked more like thirteen or fourteen. He wasn’t a terribly good liar, anyway.

The man looked like he wanted to say yes, but Léof could tell he wouldn’t. “Listen, I wish I could help you, and I’m sure you’re a hard worker, but I really don’t need any more help around here. Good luck, though.”

Léof tried not to let his disappointment show on this face. “Thank you anyway, sir.” He started to turn around and head out when the man called out to him. “Hang on, there, I may be able to help you a bit after all.” Léof turned around, trying not to get his hopes up too much. “The inn in these parts, The White Horse, has just closed down – they’re making a mead hall out of the place, if what I hear is correct. You may be able to find some work there.” He gave him directions, and Léof set off again with a word of thanks.

He untied his chestnut mare Æthel from the post and led her down the road. She had picked up a stone in her hoof sometime yesterday, and while she seemed to be walking all right now, Léof saw no need to take any risks when he was traveling such a short way.

He found the building as it had been described and once again tied Æthel out in front. “If we’re lucky, girl, you might have yourself a stall here soon,” he murmured. He left her with a fond pat and walked up to the former inn. He took a deep, hopeful breath and opened the door with some trepidation, wondering what he might find.

It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the dimmer interior, but he found that there seemed no one likely to talk to who wasn’t already busy. He considered just leaving, but he had found his first real opportunity and didn’t care to blow it. He could only wait uncomfortably either for someone to notice him or for someone to become un-busy.