View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Goodmorning Father, would you have my help in this task?"

Eodwine turned, smiling, upon hearing the familiar voice of his daughter Gudryn. "Well now. Yes! I would. If you would take one end of this measuring rope in hand, then I can begin to jot down some numbers that I'll need for the work that must be done."

Gudryn took the rope-end quickly, and stood where her father asked. He was just about to begin stretching the rope across the room when he heard quiet footsteps.

"Ah! Good the morn, Saeryn! You're up early! How are you feeling?" Gudryn matched Eodwine's words with a greeting of her own.

"I am well, though a long night abed makes these sore ribs ache a bit. But that'll pass."

Eodwine grew stern of face, but with a smile and a wink. "Now now, you remember Bethberry's words. Rest up and let your ribs heal. Think not that I'll be letting you straddle a ladder and start wielding a mallet, not for a few days at least."

Saeryn's eyes went wide a moment. "Not until I can get my arm over my head!"

A fleeting shadow passed from hallway to kitchen almost quicker than eye could follow.

"Good morning to you, Æðelhild," Eodwine said out of hearing of the girl, a smirk on his face. So the mead hall was beginning to stir with the day. Much to do, much to do. When was Frodides arriving? He hoped it would be soon; measuring and figuring on and empty stomach was little to his liking. In the meantime, he and Gudryn continued measuring off the lengths and widths he needed for the making of the Hall that his mead hall was to be named for. Much to do, much to do!

One more thing he thought of, suddenly, was quick and willing feet for errands to be run to carpenters and the like. He glanced again at Saeryn, wondering if her legs were more fit than her arms.