View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #240
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Thorn and Narayad

Thorn had been pleased to find that the herds were in good order and that nearly all had made the trip with without incident, with only one lost along the way. The animals were hungry though, and were busily intent upon filling their stomachs, forcing Narika and him to ride in separate directions to inspect the far ranging flocks. Fingering the bangle still resting in his pocket as he stood at the northern fringe, Thorn thought of how he no longer needed to give Narika such tokens of remembrance, but would soon be presenting her with the ordinate jewelry of a married woman to be her insurance should he die, as tradition dictated. The gold of his grandmother long since having been melted down and cast into new pieces in anticipation of this union, laying in the care of his mother for many years, while he had been in Umbar. But he regretted the timing of it, thinking he had waited over long. He had always thought of Narika with a joyous heart and had imagined that this ceremony would echo that contentment, but now it seemed destined to be overshadowed, veiled in sadness. Still he would do what he could to ease Ayar’s mind, and sought to support Narika. If only Ráma would arrive quickly enough.

“A rider, a rider!” one of the herdsman announced pointing to the horizon. The sharp-eyed youth had spotted a small cloud of dust far to the north, rapidly approaching. Thorn and the others readied their weapons, unsure of who this might be, perhaps a Haradrim outrider had also discovered this water. But after a few moments the youth shouted out to Thorn once more, “It is Narayad, on the piebald stallion!”

Riding out to meet him, Thorn asked why he had come, was there news in the encampment? But Narayad had left at daybreak and did not yet know of Ráma’s return or of the people she had brought with her. “No, he said. All is as you left it. I did not wish to alarm you, but have only come to help.”

“What of helping in the encampment? I would feel more confident knowing that you were there,” Thorn said.

“Ah, then you would be the only one!” Narayad said bitterly. “Since the incense pot was found, both Latah and I have been relieved of all responsibilities. I can understand the suspicion of me, though it is unwarranted, but why should Latah be punished? She has only tirelessly served, and all can see that there is not a speck guile in her.”

“It is only a precaution I am sure, Narayad. Do not take it ill. I know, as does Fador that neither you nor Latah would do anything to hurt the clan. And if others do not understand this, it is only because they have become skeptical of things outside of our community, and have not fully come to accept you as part of our clan.”

“I do not know what else I can do to prove to them that my heart is with them, and not anywhere else,” Narayad said dejectedly. “Thorn, what more I can do to convince them!”

Thorn felt the glass bangle once again in his pocket, and after a moment said slowly, “There is something that would be a great help to us, and would gain the confidence of the elders, when in time they found out.” Thorn paused weighing his words, “Narayad, how would you feel about living in Umbar for a time?”

“Umbar! I should not like it, but if you ask it of me I will go. But what of Latah?”

“Once, I know that you are settled in the city I will send her to you, if she agrees to it,” Thorn promised, “and that only if you advise me to, for it will be your duty to keep us informed of the climate there, and to keep your eyes and ears open.” Going on to explain the true work of an Eagle in Lord Falasmir’s employ, and of his promise to learn of the fictitious horse before returning to his position in the stables, Thorn asked if the outrider were still willing, and Narayad agreed to carry on in his stead if the position was still open, but voiced his concern that he did not know any languages other than the language of the caravans, and a handful of the maenwaith dialects. “I will try to teach you, and will ask Surinen also, for though the language of caravans will get you by in the city, you should also learn others for this work. But you must not tell anyone of your purpose, and if asked, say only that you are going back to your people, for what ever reason you choose.”

“I will do this, to help you and the Eagles, Thorn. But do not forget me once I am gone. And I will go in the hope that I might be called back soon, to live once again in the desert, with the Eagles.”

Thorn pulled the blue glass bangle from his pocket, and showing it to Narayad said, “ I had intended to give this to Narika before returning to the city, but now I think perhaps you might give it to Latah to wear until you are reunited. Here take it.”

Narayad took the bracelet and looked briefly at it sparkling in the sun before thanking him and slipping it among the folds of his dust cloak.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 07-04-2004 at 08:52 PM.