View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 10:58 PM   #37
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
MINAS TIRITH: Ravion

Ravion tensed as Aeron quieted, running his finger along the table. The boy had a light in his eye that unnerved the Ranger. "I’m not the only thief in the Inn," he said slowly as he glanced self-righteously at Ravion.

Ravion's eyes widened and he lunged at Aeron, only to be restrained by Raefindan. He cursed that he had let slip to the boy his past transgressions, and he pictured his hands around Aeron's throat. He struggled mildly against Raefindan, but did not put much heart into it. He paused for a moment then broke free of Raefindan's grip and leaned in toward Aeron.

"There may be more than one thief in this Inn," he said in a low voice, "but shall we make a competition of it? There is more to thievery than simply taking a purse. The other, more violent aspects, in all fairness--honor among thieves, you might even say--I would have to advise you that it would be unwise to contest me in."

Without taking his eyes off of Aeron, he addressed Mellonin. "Good lady, it is clear to me that you have enough wisdom to see through the boy's lies, but on my honor I will swear to you that I have taken nothing from this Inn that is not paid for. What has caused this boy to accuse me, I do not know." The muscles in his jaw clenched with the stress of his restrained fury, and his green eyes cast about, until they came to rest on Aeron's pocket. Something sparkled faintly in it. With another quick lunge, before Aeron could react, Ravion pulled out a necklace.

"I think that someone would be glad to know who is in possession of this," he said casually, twisting the pearl necklace around his fingers, a smile playing on his lips. He glanced up at Aeron. The youth's eyes were wide in terror, and fury. Ravion's smile faded and his voice became deadly serious. "Here me this, boy. You have disturbed what otherwise might have been a pleasant morning for me. My head is aching ferociously, and I blame you in large measure for that. You have done damage to my reputation, and caused a lady much trouble. I have every right, and I daresay I am almost obliged as a Ranger, to turn you in to the authorities for your thievery." He tightened his grip on the necklace, and Aeron gasped, afraid that the Ranger's rough, strong fingers would snap the fragile piece of jewelry.

Ravion struggled a bit with himself before continuing, for he knew that it was likely to sound odd, and he wasn't sure what Mellonin and Raefindan would say. "I should turn you in. But I'm not going to. I'm not sure why yet. By rights, by law, you should be in prison now. But you can have my protection. On the condition," he added quickly, before Aeron got too much hope, "that I have your obedience. Whatever may come to pass, whatever travels I go on, you will follow me and do as I bid. Otherwise, this goes back to its rightful owner, and you go straight to jail." He showed Aeron the necklace again. "What say you?"

Last edited by Orual; 03-25-2004 at 11:01 PM.