View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 PM   #196
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kaldir

Roughly, Kaldir dragged Toby Longholes into camp by the scruff of the neck. Knowing the hobbit to be a recent associate of Naiore Dannan, Kaldir's first instinct had been to cut the scrubby little beggar's throat where he had found him and leave him to bleed out, alone amongst the criss-crossing tree roots of the forest floor. He might have done as much, too, if he had been alone, but the presence of Dulrain and the two women demanded a more moderate course of action. Instead, he hauled the little traitor into camp and deposited him in an awkward heap a few feet from the fire. Even so, he kept his dagger at the ready. A single false or threatening move from the hobbit and Kaldir's dagger would find its mark.

"I came here to tell you of Naiore's plans!" repeated Toby miserably. He sat in a sullen lump, his face turned carefully away from where Benia and Gilly sat nearby.

At the sound of Naiore's name, Kaldir felt the battered side of his face twitch noticeably. He still wished he had killed the spy on sight, but there was a chance he could prove useful to them. Kaldir pushed aside his more murderous impulses and looked down at Toby with a glacial silence.

Dulrain sheathed the ornamental sword he carried and, kneeling down, leveled an even stare at the prisoner. "Then, tell us. Why is Naiore targeting Imladris?"

After casting one nervous, sideways glance at Kaldir, Toby turned his attention to Dulrain. "Someone named Menecin is there. She's after Menecin."

Kaldir and Dulrain exchanged a glance. They knew who Menecin was, but neither of them had been aware of his presence in Imladris.

"How does she intend to reach him?" asked Dulrain, his expression growing dark.

Toby shrugged obstinately, his eyes searching the soon-to-be darkening woods beyond the campfire, as though half-expecting the Ravenner herself to come striding out, brandishing her two curved blades. Kaldir gave him a quick, none-too-gentle kick. The dagger edged closer toward Toby's face.

"Speak!" ordered Kaldir. Darkness would be falling soon. If Naiore planned to make her move against Imladris, it would no doubt come at dusk or shortly thereafter. To his memory, she had never been a creature of the light.

Toby flinched and looked petulant, but answered. "She has friends with her. I think she plans to use her daughter, too, but I don't know how."

"Vanwe," said Kaldir for Dulrain's benefit.

Dulrain nodded. "I am aware of her," he said quietly.

Toby aimed a defiant look at Kaldir. "She's sending her friends after you, too. I heard her. She knows you are here and she means to kill all of you."

"No thanks to you, I'm sure," answered Kaldir dryly. Beside him, Dulrain straightened.

"We should warn Elrohir and Elladan," he said to Kaldir. "She mustn't be allowed to attack Imladris by surprise."

Kaldir nodded his agreement. "We may be too late," he added as the silence of the evening was abruptly shattered by the hoarse cries of orcs, followed by the clash of swords echoing through the woods from the direction of the ford.

"Orcs!" exclaimed Dulrain. "We must go to Imladris' aid!" His hand rose to the hilt of his sword. Kaldir watched as Dulrain began to ready himself to ride into battle. His own first inclination was to join Dulrain and ride together with him against the orcs in defense of Imladris, just as they had in the old days before the lingering darkness had descended over his heart, but a quick glance around the camp told Kaldir that now was not the time. There was Toby to contend with and, of course, the safety of Mrs. Banks and Benia to consider. He had nearly lost the two of them to orcs back in the Lonelands, but for the efforts of Dulrain. He had no intention of leaving them vulnerable again. As for Toby Longholes, Kaldir knew he could settle the hobbit's hash once and for all in a matter of seconds, if it came to that. Even so, he considered it likely that the elves would have a use for him. They would all be better off making a dash for the safety of the last homely house.

Dulrain, too, for that matter. He had been grievously wounded in the skirmish with the orcs in the Lonelands, then been forced to ride five days without proper rest or the attention of true healers. For him to ride into battle in his condition would be tantamount to suicide.

Turning to Toby, Kaldir pointed the tip of his dagger directly at the hobbit's nose. "Move an inch and you will indeed die a swift and sure death. I kid you not." Leaving the hobbit to consider his options, Kaldir caught up with Dulrain as he saddled his horse. The sound of Elven bowstrings sang through the dusk.

"Our best course would be to break for Imladris by another route," he said quietly.

Dulrain turned, looking first at Kaldir, then in the direction of the ongoing battle. "Our brethren and our allies are in trouble. We must go to their aid."

Kaldir's icy blue eyes narrowed. "And what would you do to aid them? Die? You are in no condition to fight."

Dulrain turned on him, his gray eyes flashing angrily, but Kaldir could sense his hesitation. He continued. "The hobbit says Naiore has sent orcs into the woods for us, as well. Would you leave Mrs. Banks and Miss Nightshade to their mercy? We must take them and ride as quickly as we can for Imladris. Odds are we will still have to fight our way through. I know of but one way into the Elven refuge.”

Dulrain's hesitation deepened. He looked over Kaldir's shoulder in the direction of the two women and, for a brief instant, grew very still. Then, he nodded. “The stair.”

Kaldir nodded. “The stair. We can cross the Bruinen north of the ford, and, unless things fare worse for our Elven allies than I hope, we can ride south along the canyon wall to the stair, most of the way under cover of the Elven archers.”

“Gaining the stair will be the dangerous part,” said Dulrain quietly. “Naiore will be centering her forces there.”

Again, Kaldir nodded.

“I suppose there is no other way,” said Dulrain, his gaze drifting again in the direction of the women.

“The only alternative I can see is waiting here until the orcs find us, which is hardly an alternative to my view,” answered Kaldir.

“To mine either,” rejoined Dulrain. “We should ride at once. Hopefully, we can reach the stair before it is overrun.”

Without another word, the two of them moved into action, saddling the remaining horses and readying the group to depart. Benia and Gilly did their part and, Kaldir was amused to note, the hobbit, Toby, had not moved an inch. He still sat in a lump where Kaldir had left him, but his bright eyes followed the activity attentively. Kaldir approached him, leading the gray horse by the reins.

“You ride with me,” he said sternly, picking the hobbit up and placing him on the back of the saddle. On an afterthought, Kaldir reached up and took the hobbit’s knife away, pitching it into the smoldering remains of the fire. He didn’t know why he had not noticed it before. “You hinder me in any way and I shall have your head,” he added pleasantly. “Do we understand each other?”

When Toby nodded, Kaldir swung himself into the saddle in front of him. He nodded to Dulrain and the company took off from the campsite at a fast trot, with Dulrain in the lead, followed by Benia, then Gilly, with Kaldir and Toby bringing up the rear.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:38 PM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]