View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #31
Thirwaina

The first time I ever read the trilogy, I skipped some of the poetry, I'll admit that, but you'll have to forgive me, I think I was about eleven...
Apart from that, I don't think I have ever skipped any parts, especially not the chapters like 'The Council of Elrond' and 'The shadow of the past.' I know a lot of people skip these chapters, because there's just talking, really.
But I, like some who have posted before me, think these are among the most interesting chapters, because there are so many stories to look into...

A lot of people I know, especially the ones who prefer the movies instead of the books, think the beginning is boring. They feel like it never gets started...
I can understand why they feel that way, especially if they've seen the movie before they read the books, and expect all that action at once.
Still, I have to disagree with them, because I think it's necessary to have that kind of beginnig. After all, you've got all these people that need to be introduced, not to mention Middleearth, and the Shire itself.

My point is, that I don't really skip anything while reading Tolkien, but ofcourse there are parts that I read a little faster than the other ones, and that would probably be some of the travelling...
And to everyone who was shocked by my first sentence; I don't skip poetry any more. I now take the time to enjoy it