View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I'm afraid I tend to skim over a few parts.

Fea extends wrist for a good slapping.

I've discovered in the past year or so that I have a moderately bad attention problem. I'm incapable of taking notes, although I can retain information through listening or discussing. I can't sit still for too long, and I tend to skip over reading things that are overly verbose. (Which means that my love for Shakespeare confuses me. A lot.)

What that means for The Silmarillion is that it took me an entire summer to slog my way through it, whereas The Fellowship took me some three days. I only just read Of Belariand and its Realms a few months ago, having skipped it so many times. There are simply too many names, places, and really really boring bits for me to force myself to concentrate on. With the Trilogy, I get easily lost in the world. With The Silm, I have to dive in head first and hold onto a really big rock to stay put.

In The Two Towers, I didn't quite "get" Helm's Deep for a good long time, because the descriptions were killing me. I was having trouble processing everything, so I sort of quit for the first time and came back after awhile.

These days, I skip a lot of Frodo/Sam parts. Yes, yes... I know that nothing else in the books would happen but for their sake, but at this point in my life, it's just so boring. I even did it watching Return of the King (EE) last night. I dozed off when Frodo was trapped in the tower and had my brother poke me when it reverted to the Pelennor. Bad me, yes, I know.

Fea