View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 07:17 AM   #36
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fr W-F seems clear that it was an actual incident, but that may have been down to the way Michael Tolkien phrased it in correspondence. The Rev'd informed me that he intends to place the letters in his archive at Bradford University, so it may be possible to get a look at them one day.

Of course, Tolkien was profoundly affected by his dreams, so its possible that this was the recurrence of a nightmare he had during the war.

Certainly, I'd discount the possibility that Michael made the story up - as it doesn't refelct too well on his father if it was a real incident. For a signals officer to get lost & find himself lost behind enemy lines is not good, & to have him running for his life is hardly something that makes him look 'heroic'.

Of course, the British still had mounted troops at the time of the Somme as far as I'm aware, & its just possible that Tolkien was riding - he'd had experience training horses - & that the Germans may also have had some mounted patrols (if not actual 'Uhlans'). In other words, the incident is not a logical impossibility, just highly improbable.

Whatever, the 'experience' (dream or otherwise) seems to have 'happened'. Its not the sort of thing a son would just pull out of thin air - I suspect an invented tale would have presented his father in a more heroic light.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote