View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #10
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post

That said, even if we are more of Old Folks Home than a party house these days, some of the admins or mods are still about, even if they're not always logging in, and one of the factors that contributed to the site falling asleep was the rise of social media--but with the silver lining that, should any of them be needed, someone can usually be summoned swiftly enough through the Facebook group.
Funny I never thought of the Decline in that context, no matter how obvious it seems now.

I didn't see it at the time, but I guess for me the process really started when some of us started using LiveJournal for talking about non-Tolkien things. Though obviously it wasn't until the rise of Facebook that things really escalated.

I always just assumed that people got busy, and you know, that the crushing pressure of the absurdity of life had finally gotten to us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide View Post
Thanks for the background, completely understandable situation you find yourselves in here. It's a shame most forums began to fade with the rise of social media, so much knowledge and great connections can be found on forums such as this one.

I find it entirely regrettable that I did not find this site 10 years ago.
Like many others in this thread I also long for the days when the site was buzzing with activity. Back then I would log in several times a day, these days I am proud if I remember to do it once a month.

I have made so many wonderful connections trough this site and not a day goes buy without some of my fellow wights being in my thoughts, which is probably why it pains me not to be more active.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote