View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #17
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
My first choice would be a full Lay of Earendil. Of all the 'great tales', this is the only one that never received any sort of a 'full' treatment. For 'Beren and Luthien' we have the Lay of Leithien; for Turin we have the Narn; for 'Tuor' we have the late 'Fall of Gondolin' fragment and the old Lost Tale; even for the Ruin of Doriath, we have 'Wanderings' and the old 'Tale of the Nauglafring'. For 'Earendil' we have only the terse report of the 'Quenta' and annalistic traditions and the tantalizing Lost Tales outlines.
I agree with Aiwendil - it would definitely be great to see a full Lay of Eärendil. He's not only an intriguing character, but I've always been interested in his journeys. It feels there could be so much more to them, but they aren't really written about. Such a pity.

My other option would be the Fall of Gondolin. It has always been my favourite out of the Great Tales, and also the one with the least material. Lay of Leithian is best read in verse - I don't think it would make a very good novel; and we already have the Tale of the Children of Húrin. I would be interested both in the wanderings of Tuor and the story of Maeglin in a fuller extent - and the Fall of Gondolin could also continue nicely to the story of Eärendil.

Or then something about dwarves. A story which is located in Nogrod or Belegost, or Khazad-dûm. A story that gives more insight into normal dwarvish life, into dwarves themselves - not just how they are portrayed by other peoples. Wow.

A novel-size version of the Akallabêth would be lovely, too.