View Single Post
Old 02-06-2002, 01:28 AM   #40
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Quote:
"Secret Fire - The Flame of Anor, a mystical aspect of the Sun, greatest visible power in Creation. The order of Istari (Wizards)formally swore obedience to the "Secret Fire"
This confuses me. The Secret Fire is the Flame Imperishable Eru sent to create Ea, the world that is. This quote is saying that the Flame of Anor (The Sun) is the Flame Imperishable? That is wrong.

The Sun was created from a fruit that dropped from Laurelin before it died. And the sun is lead through the sky by the Maia, Arien. So how could it be the Flame Imperishable (Secret Fire)?

We all agree that The Secret Fire is The Flame Imperishable. But when Gandalf says he is a weilder of the flame of Anor, I always thought he meant Narya because it is a ring of fire. But I see that this is probably implausible. Like you have said already, I dont think Gandalf would tell this to the Balrog and the ring was not created for power in the sense that Gandalf could use it to fight.

So I am very confused. When Gandalf says he is a weilder of the power of the sun, I cannot understand this. I guess you could be right, Aiwendil. Maybe the Sun is related somehow to the Flame Imperishable and maybe is a source of power. That just doesn't seem right, though. The great lamps were the original sources of light, and then the two trees. The Sun is only a part of the power of Laurelin and it is said in the Silmarillion "The sun was set as a sign of awakening for men, and of waning for the elves...". So it seems odd to me that the thing that caused the elves to leave Middle Earth would be used as a source of power for a Maia.

But then again the Sun showed great power against Morgoth. He feared the Sun and its brightness and because of it, Melkor hid from the day. And even in Dagor Dagorath Melkor attacks the Sun. So obviously he sees it as his main enemy. I think the effect of the Sun would be the same on Sauron as well.

I think I have asked so many questions that I have gotten an answer without any help. I think, now, that when Gandalf says weilder of the Flame of Anor he means that he has the power of the Sun that even Melkor, the Balrogs master!, was scared of. What do you guys think? Have I solved this mystery? Do you understand what Im talking about? Tell me what you think.

But I still have a question. What does "The dark fire will not avail you" mean?