View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #107
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Tally

Midmorning had brought another kill for Calumdril and Cuilad, this one the boy's own doing. Their horses were laden with three now and Calumdril was beginning to question the need for more slaughter. Good enough that the boy had one himself, thought Calumdril, but who knew how many animals other settlers had felled. And the rangers. It would not be good to take too many from the herd all at once.

Calumdril watched the boy's excitement at his first success and for the first time noted that Cuilad was mouthing words as he worked over the animal, even if his voice was mute. When he was done, the boy looked up, his face inquisitive and eager to go on.

"No, lad, we've enough now. I won't even start a fire to send a signal. We'll head home."

The boy's face fell flat and disappointment clearly registered in his eyes.

"You've done as well as me, lad. We each took one and shared in another. Your dad will nave nowt to complain of you and much to commend."

The boy stood still, stubbornly rooted to the ground, feeling as if he was being denied a precious opportunity. Calumdril took no note of the rebellion but went about collecting his things before beginning a quiet talk with the boy. It was awhile yet before they set back to the settlement.

~ ~ ~

The mud had made the going harder, as the horses' hooves slipped as often as did their own. Yet as the sun rose higher in the sky, the earth dried partly and they were able to make their way faster. The two could hear the ringing of hammers and thuds of axes as they neared the settlement and then the rise of voices as their approach was noted. Calumdril was eager to hand the animals over to Illith and the other women. He wanted a swim in the cold lake and relief from the days of worry over the need for food. And he wanted time to think of the body he had found with the Rangers. His job was done. Let others prepare the feast.