View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #193
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
Even if you are right, and I am not saying that you aren't, none of these would be possible withouth the Grace, that other power at work, which is refferenced several times in the very work.
Yes they would. An individual can sacrifice themselves for others without God being involved, a humble individual may be ennobled without God. In Lotr what we see is not the presence of God as such, but rather a lot of characters who believe in God & refer things & events to Him. Maybe they're just a superstitious bunch...

Quote:
Then, if I follow you, you admit that you do not want to use it for its highest (and intended) function. Though your other use may be accepted by the author, it is, by no means, the most proper use possible; not necessarily an mis-use, but an "under"-use.
No, I'm saying it 'highest & intended function' has no relevance to me. Therefore it cannot be a 'mis-use' as I could not use it for the intention it was designed. To imply that I would be 'under-using' it is to assume that which is to be proved - that somehow the object is 'more' of an altar than a chair. In what way, beyond the builder's wish/intent, is it specifically an altar?I think your analogy is based in the idea that the 'true' meaning of LotR is 'Christian', & that if I do not pick up on that, if, in effect, I do not use the book as a devotional work to aid in my specifically Christian prayers & meditations, I am not using it to its fullest, & am missing something. Needless to say I disagree ...
davem is offline   Reply With Quote