View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #173
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
To be a 'Christian' work it would have to have underlying themes which are uniquely Christian
Why uniquely? This work doesn't set out to present the definition of Christianity, against whatever other beliefs or perspectives; as I presented three quotes so far, the author presents Christianity in its essence. Because, as I stated previously:

"Again, it seems to me that the main difference between us is that for you a Christian work is one in which there are refferences to only what is absolutely unique in Christianity - if the work would evolve solely around that, it would be rather barren."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
If atheism is the trouble, I can continue his argument for him. I am not atheist.
My reason for singling out atheism is that it excludes from the start the very existence of the [Christian] Truth; if there is no such common base, how can the relation between Truth, Art and myth be discussed? It would be, first and foremost, a matter of proselytism, which breaks all the boundaries of this discussion (and my taste). The function of Tolkien's myths, to link back to the Truth, would, theoretically, not function.
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote