View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 03:02 PM   #14
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

“Well after hear I think I will carry on to the North, or maybe stop off at Bree before I undertake that journey.” He sighed taking another gulp from his tankard.

“If a may be so bold to ask why?” Questioned Tiruviel from across the table.

“You may be so bold, “ he replied, “I go north to see an old friend, a friend from childhood. I used to hunt with them and scout the land. But alas our duties have separated us over the years and I have not seen them in a long while.”

“And his name?” Asked Nuinyulma.

“His?!” asked Caranel shaken from deep thought of Elen, “Tis not a male! But a female, daughter of a Ranger and my closest friend.”

“Then what may be her name?” Inquired Tiruviel, enchanted by the new story he was unraveling before them.

“Her name is Elelith, but Elen to me. She is fair beyond any mortal I have seeN, and it is not only her looks, but her mind, her skill. Her eyes enchant me and her soft voice is what I long to hear again; I have been away from it toolong.”

“You hold her highly then?” Asked Nuinyulma, he glass of water clasped in her hands.

Caranel nodded in return, “Aye I do, there is a Song that reminds me of her. Now I am no sing but I will gladly recite it to you. If you will let me that is?” The two Elves nodded, so he started:

She chose to walk alone, though others wondered why
Refused to look before her, kept eyes cast upwards towards the sky
She didn't have companions; no need for earthly things
She only wanted freedom from what she felt were puppet strings
She longed to be a bird, so that she might fly away
She pitied every blade of grass, for planted they would stay

She longed to be a flame that brightly danced alone
Felt jealous of the steam that made the air its only home
Some say she wished too hard; some say she wished too long
But we awoke one autumn day to find that she was gone

The trees, they say, stood witness; the sky refused to tell
But someone who had seen it said the story played out well
She spread her arms out wide, breathed in the break of dawn
She just let go of all she held...and then she was gone

“That was beautiful…” whisper Tiruviel.

“It is, she is a free spirit like yourselves, but I dread the day when I find her gone.” There was a silence, Caranel felt some sadness and longing to see Elen. But he would stay longer as rest was needed. “And of you two? What do you look to do?”

[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]