Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I haven't voted yet, but I'm thinking about it. I have an answer to Estelyn's rather persuasive points, though. Myth is, among other things, the encapsulation of truth as it is known by its progenitors. Thus, the old testament of the bible hints at, but does not reveal a saving Christ Jesus, and gives a limited view of Yahweh. By comparison, the new testament has a filled out revelation of Yahweh God as a clear Trinity.

Tolkien created his myth to predate the old testament; thus, it is no surprise that it presents an even more limited view of the creator. This does not lessen who the creator really is, only the knowledge of the creator amongst his creatures. Therefore, I can see Tolkien deciding that the people of Middle Earth, predating the old testament, wouldn't have knowledge of a creator who wanted a personal relationship with his creatures.

I do think that Tolkien meant Iluvatar to be a picture of the God he worships. The very same Being? Well, yes. If one understands the nature of spiritual reality, all the conventions of writing are subservient to the Truth. Maybe a good story is supposed to be only feigned history, feigned reality, but sometimes the Truth breaks through because of the nature of Truth. That's my thought. Yes. That's my answer... soon as I submit this post.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote