View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #909
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting. Dorran's parents were killed by orcs.
Enough said!

Still.... The real question isn't how our characters feel at the beginning of this mess. It's whether or not they are capable of change.

I suspect Dorran is capable of change, even if very slowly. I also suspect that, if there is any sentiment to give orcs a chance, it will generally come from the members of the fellowship rather than the slaves (though there may be certain exceptions to this.) If Aiwendil and Lindir and eventually Vror soften their stance a bit, Dorran will begin to feel some pressure to re-examine his own attitudes. Like Durelin's character, Dorran is more likely to be soft hearted about the women and the children....especially the children.

Azhar is in an interesting position. She has equal hatred for orcs and easterlings so, in that sense, she's not as fixated on orcs as Dorran is. Azhar will do everything she can to avoid coming in contact with the male orcs. She doesn't want to fight them--she just wants to avoid them. Female orcs and children are a different matter. She's never known any. I assume that, if female orcs lived on the plantation, they did drudge work rather than being overseers....the same for the kids. It's possible that Azhar would actually have some things in common with the kids and women if she would ever talk to them -- types of labor they both shared. If Azhar can make some contact of this type, her atttitudes will soften. More than that, she could become a veritable firebrand on behalf of "orc rights".
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.